Part 2: By Still Waters
The Lion and The Lamb 2
Part 2: By Still Waters
By: Jesse Dring
As I lay there, dried by the warm sun shining upon me through the lush green leaves of trees that drank from the gentle creek that I lay beside, I labored to breathe from the dried fountain of tears of guilt and shame.
A familiar voice asked, “My child, why are you crying?”
I just laid there quivering, grasping at any kind of comprehension of myself, not able to answer. Somehow I knew if I could answer that question I would certainly be left in despair.
“Be at peace, Child,” the voice said with commanding comfort. “You may have fallen, but I'm here to raise you up again; come and eat.”
My body released slowly from its coiled position to being sprawled out on my back. I sought the will to get up as my eyes opened up to a mid-day sun covered by near translucent green leaves held mid-air by light brown twigs connected to a strong bough.
My hands looked for the strength to grasp something to pull my weak body over to my front. As feeling came back into my shoulders, I reached across my lower chest, twisted my torso to grab at the grass that was flattened under me. Soon enough the weakness left, but what was left in its wake was a soreness I had never experienced before. I had gathered the strength to lift myself but still could not turn my body over.
It felt as if there was an invisible burden upon my prone body. I began to realize that I couldn't do this alone. What seemed a simple task, instinct even, was impossible.
“I can't,” my voice waivered. “Why can't I do what I do everyday?”
“My child,” the gentle voice came again, “from where do you gather your strength?”
It struck me that I never considered such a question. Everything always seemed so natural, every movement, every grasp. Here I felt helpless, no ability to gain mastery over my own body.
As I struggled with my mind and body, all fell silent. In my peripheral vision, I watched as a lamb came and stood above me, looking down at me with a studying glare. Tears came into my eyes as I recognized Him.
Memories flooded my mind of how I first met Him. So long ago, I walked with Him. He sent me to tell of the forest, how I sank in the mud, and how I was washed of the mud in the river. It seemed so long ago and so many things went wrong.
“It’s never enough to do it on my own,” I moaned a complaint.
Then I heard a fluttering of wings and a white object dashed above me. In a moment the object slowed itself and descended upon my chest. I then recognized that it was the Dove. It seemed as if It were gliding down gracefully in slow motion, eventually landing on its mark.
“I can help,” a sound of a gentle whisper echoed in my mind, “if you desire to be helped.”
This experience left me speechless. I knew the answer my mouth wanted to say, but another voice replaced my words. It was still me, but a version of me I had not seen since I last saw the Lamb.
“Yes!” This voice came from my lips, “help me!”
“Then rise!” The Dove commanded as He bowed His head on the center of my chest. He took off from chest and landed on a branch of an adjacent tree.
At that moment every part of my body became strengthened. At that touch, every limb felt the rush of life as if a river had been drained and now was flooding with new waters. All the soreness left. With ease, I turned to my front and lifted myself up on my hands and knees. As I looked up, I felt a breeze of warm air against my head and neck. I came eye to eye with the Lamb.
“Are you ready to come back?” asked the Lamb.
Comments
Post a Comment